Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Replacements

Lose weight now
                Contrary to popular belief of American’s being lazy and never doing anything about being fat, I feel as if some television companies such as ABC have taken  the proper measures to change lives. Recently ABC cancelled two of their well known soap operas ‘All my Children’ and ‘One Life to Live.’ According to New York Times’ Bill Carter, this leaves ABC with just one soap opera left (Par 2). Other companies have taken the same measures of cancelling most of their soap operas.
                Where ABC really takes a positive step in improving the lives of America is by replacing these shows with two new shows called “Chew” and “The Revolution.” Carter stated in New York Times, “One show, “Chew,” will be devoted to cooking and nutrition, featuring the chef Mario Batali, among other hosts. The other program, “The Revolution,” will focus on issues relating to health, weight loss and “lifestyle transformations” and will devote each week to the efforts of one woman to lose weight over a five-month period.” (Par 6). I feel that this is a very positive step in making sure that Americans either remain or tries to revert back to healthy. This is very important because not only has America recently been undergoing bad eating habits, but almost every American watches television and these shows, rather than soap operas, will perhaps encourage them to change their ways of eating.
                The television companies have really surprised me in taking positive steps to making America healthy. I used to think that the media was just bad for Americans’ health because it caused them to just sit at home and watch television, but now I see that it can be used for good and not evil like ABC has done here. I am very proud of this television company for cancelling the useless soap opera and replacing it with a more important and influential line up.

Works Cited
Most popular

« Automatically search and cite any of the 22 designated sources! »
Carter, Bill. "ABC Cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' - NYTimes.com." A Guide to the Media Industry - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com. New York Times, 14 Apr. 2011. Web. 21 Apr. 2011. <http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/abc-cancels-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live/?src=me>.

Cleaver, Alan. Lose Weight Now. 2009. Photograph. Flickr.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Blogger,

    I couldn't agree more that our country is in bad need of a health overhaul. We sit around all day in front of some type of screen looking for entertainment while eating out favorite snakes. This defiantly can not go on forever.
    " Where ABC really takes a positive step in improving the lives of America is by replacing these shows with two new shows called “Chew” and “The Revolution.”" I highly doubt though that ABC replaced those shows for anything other than ratings. Soaps just don't bring in the money like the used too. Now they are looking to new ways to cash in. Now days people are trying to get healthy even if all they are doing is watching another person do that on their TV.
    "This is very important because not only has America recently been undergoing bad eating habits, but almost every American watches television and these shows, rather than soap operas, will perhaps encourage them to change their ways of eating." In this area I think you have to take into account that while everyone has a TV they usually all come complete with a few hundred channels so if they don't watch these new show is really doesn't matter if they are on the air or not. Only time will tell if people care enough to tune in.
    Thanks for interesting opinion on this subject.

    Kudu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Writer,

    Americans these days have horrible eating habits, and instead of being a couch potato watching these truly POINTLESS, and so unrealistic soap operas they should be watching these nutritional shows that they could maybe, oh I don't know...benefit from! Would you rather learn about healthy eating habits and how to get fit, or who David cheated on Julia with?!!?!? The choice seems easy!

    "The television companies have really surprised me in taking positive steps to making America healthy." This is something I have really started to notice lately. I have seen A LOT of new shows on TV that are all about being healthy and in shape. These shows are what we need to be seein gon TV, and not all this crap we usually see on TV.

    "The other program, “The Revolution,” will focus on issues relating to health, weight loss and “lifestyle transformations” and will devote each week to the efforts of one woman to lose weight over a five-month period.” This show will not only change the lives of the women they help loose weight, but I think that it will inspire other men and women to get fit, and make your lives better and change in a positive way.

    Thank you for posting this very interesing blog! I really enjoyed it, and it makes me want to go workout and be healthy! Haha!

    Sincerely,

    Goldfinch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Corporations Anonymous:

    I enjoyed reading your article about ABC’s soap operas being replaced by more health based shows to better enhance people’s views of being healthy. In our society it’s not hard to see that people are getting much bigger, much earlier in their lives. With new programs like this in effect I think it will help many who are home during the middle of the day that soap operas are normally on by educating instead of simply entertaining.

    I agreed with the point you made that “I feel that this is a very positive step in making sure that Americans either remain or tries to revert back to healthy.” I believe this can only bring positive effects to viewers of ABC’s shows. If more and more Americans watch shows that are devoted to promoting good health we will only continue to become a healthier country all together.

    I also liked that you added “The television companies have really surprised me in taking positive steps to making America healthy.” I too never would have thought that a main television station would take their popular shows off the air to put cooking and health shows in their place. I like that ABC is doing this and think if other channels follow their lead this could lead to a healthier population in the United States all together.

    I'm glad to learn this information and I really enjoyed reading your post and expect many more great topics to follow. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Blogger,

    Hmmmm...this is intriguing. And I really want to know how this works out for ABC. And shocked that they are taking such a brave leap.

    "Where ABC really takes a positive step in improving the lives of America is by replacing these shows with two new shows called “Chew” and “The Revolution.”" Honestly, these shows don't sound too great. Maybe that is their actual plan: if we all show boring shows, only dedicated dietitians or women waning to lose weight will watch it. Every one else will get off their lazy buts and find that a frisbee or basketball is more entertaining. This is my theory.

    "Recently ABC cancelled two of their well known soap operas ‘All my Children’ and ‘One Life to Live.’" This really shocks me because it's risky. If no one watches the new shows, they may lose a LOT of revenue and may not be able to produce anymore. Though, maybe ABC is confident in their shows and current riches to take the risk. Also, I'm sure it looks great for their image. Ya know, healthy and all that fun stuff.

    This may be my favorite blog I've read yet. It covers a topic easy to give a response over, it's new, it has not been covered yet, and it is really intriguing. Oh, it also doesn't talk only of the negative with corporations. You show a good side, which I love!

    --Blue Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Blogger,

    This post is really good. I love that they cancled those soap operas. I think soap operas are a total waste of time and should not be watched. Also love that they replaced these shows with healthy informatvie shows.

    I really like the sound of the show "chew". I love cooking shows so much. I love them even more when they show easy food to make, that are healthy and not bad for you. To think that ABC is one of those corporations that actually has a heart or some form of one.

    The statement "I feel that this is a very positive step in making sure that Americans either remain or tries to revert back to healthy." i really agree with. Americans are too obese and lazy from watching these shows that don't inform them. We need more shows that teach us better eating habits and ways to get healthy.

    This post was very good. ABC is a great channel on T.V. and i'm glad to read that it is trying to help out Amerians. Even if it's for other reasons.

    Sincerely,
    Klipspringer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Writer,

    Thanks for once again posting about an interesting topic. It was neat to see how you took the situation and used it to show how the TV companies are taking steps to better our lives.

    One statement that caught my eye was "Where ABC really takes a positive step in improving the lives of America is by replacing these shows with two new shows called “Chew” and “The Revolution.”" I think this is such a good idea that I have never thought about before. There's absolutely no need for ten different sappy soap operas when they're all the same. It's neat to see that they think so, too, and that they chose to replace them with "healthy alternatives."

    "This is very important because not only has America recently been undergoing bad eating habits, but almost every American watches television and these shows, rather than soap operas, will perhaps encourage them to change their ways of eating," was something I really agreed with in this post. I hope that Americans are inspired to change the way they feel and their overall health. I hope that shows such as these truly helps in fixing America's waistline.

    Thanks for posting such an interesting topic. I hope to read more from you in the future, as I'm sure your posts will continue to be equally as interesting.

    Sincerely,

    Baltimore Oriole

    ReplyDelete